iStudentCity - After Graduating Stage Welcome to

Career Planning
Further Education
Moving Home
Staying in the U.S.

  Privacy Policy
  Terms & Conditions
Practical Training

Yes, most training is already practical, but the government wanted to use the term, so they got to.

Pratical Training | H1B | Green Card | Citizenship
After you have finished your degree, you may take part in "post-completion optional practical training." To qualify as this type of employment, a job must be directly related to your academic field, begin immediately after you complete your degree, and not last for longer than twelve months

In order to start this type of practical training you must have maintained F-1 status for at least nine months and have completed or be nearing completion of your degree.

You must submit an application for post-completion optional practical training at least 60 days before, but not more than 120 days before you are scheduled to graduate. Plan ahead if you want to get this kind of job. This deadline is not flexible. If the INS receives your application late, even by one day, it will be denied!

If you engaged in full-time curricular practical training, or pre-completion optional practical training, the time spent in that training will be subtracted from the 12-month maximum, and you can only engage in post-completion optional practical training for the remainder of time.

Also, you may not begin legal employment until you have authorized permission from the INS, and an EAD takes 60 to 90 days to be processed by the INS, so start the application process in a timely fashion.

Regardless of when your employment starts, you may not work in the U.S. later than 14 months after you complete your degree.

You do not need to have a job to apply for post-completion optional practical training.
It is possible to travel during this training, after you have received the EAD.

If you are considering lengthening your stay in the U.S. beyond the maximum 12 months of post-completion optional practical training, you can attempt to gain H1B visa sponsorship from your current employer. Click here for more information.

Staying in the U.S. | | H1B

Home | About iStudentCity | Job Opportunities | Contact iStudentCity Hall
Copyright©2000-2009, All Rights Reserved.