Welcome to iStudentCity.com

88 x 31

Prepare for Schools
Apply to Schools
Follow up on Your Applications
Prepare to Leave
Venture to America!

  Privacy Policy
  Terms & Conditions
Driver's licenses

Americans have a fascination with cars. They make movies about them. They restore classic cars. They publish many magazines about them.
There's more to America than capitalism and democracy, after all.

Driving in the United States

Different states have different regulations governing what licenses may be used, and you may be allowed to drive in America as long as you have a valid driver's license from your home country. If your license is about to expire, it would be a good idea to renew it or purchase an international driver's license before you leave your home country.

However, if you come from a country that issues licenses in a language other than English, it is best to obtain an international driver's license so that U.S. official can read it. Once you establish yourself in the United States, you may be required to get a driver's license from the state where you are living while attending school.Even if you aren't required to do this, it is a good idea for identification purposes.

Even if you have a valid driver's license from your home country or an international driver's license, you will probably be unfamiliar with the local driving regulations. You must learn what the rules of the road are for the state(s) in which you drive (these vary somewhat from state to state).

Remember that Americans drive on the right-hand side of the road. Freeways have a speed limit of 60 mph (96 kph) in cities and 65 mph (104 kph) in less populated areas. If you know where you will be living, look up the state driving regulations (many are available online) as soon as you can to learn all of the rules for driving where you will be living while you are a student.

Renting a Car

Even if you never buy a car while you are a student, you may need or want to rent one for some reason. If you do, you can use your international driver's license or a state driver's license as identification when renting a car. You may also be required to pay for insurance in addition to any rental fees.

Many companies do not allow a person under 25 year of age to rent their cars. Some exceptions include: National (allows 21 and above), etc.

Visa | | Traveling to the U.S.
Important US Official Links:
SEVIS is a government, computerized system that maintains and manages data about foreign students and exchange visitors during their stay in the United States. More info >>

U.S. Customs - Department of State

Home | About iStudentCity | Job Opportunities | Contact iStudentCity Hall
Copyright©2000-2006, iStudentCity.com. All Rights Reserved.