Your apartment or dorm might have unpainted cinderblock walls.
You'll probably want to make it look better... somehow.
Be fabulous on a budget!
College students have always faced the same problem:
A small, ugly room, and an empty wallet. And somehow, we have always
managed to turn that "hole-in-the-wall" into a palace! (Or to make it
Here are some time-honored tactics:
- Thrift stores are full of all kinds of funny, funky, unexpected,
old-fashioned, and just plain weird stuff: housewares, paintings,
toys, records, lamps, drapes, etc. You might find anything, and
all of it is so cheap that it's practically free. Your imagination is
the only limit to what you can do with this stuff. Keep reading!
- Hang Christmas lights around your room. Why not? An old American
proverb says it best: "It ain't illegal."
- Your couch is so ugly, it makes you sick every time you look at it?
Then cover it up with some attractive bedspreads and throw pillows!
- You aren't allowed to put nails into the wall? You can still decorate
your walls and doors with posters, art, photos, ads, etc., without
using nails. You can buy special adhesive squares that will hold
a lot of weight without damaging the paint underneath.
- Plants brighten up any room - even yours.
- Make your own curtains using bedsheets or remnants from a fabric store.
- Cover the entire ceiling with a large piece of fabric. Secure it at the
edges, corners, and center. This will completely change the atmosphere of
- Put a cork bulletin board on the wall and tack on pictures of family
and friends, postcards, and other memorabilia.
- Add glow-in-the-dark stickers to the ceiling. (Just make sure they
won't remove any paint when you leave.)
- Place a mirror on one wall. It will make the room look larger.