Welcome to iStudentCity.com

  Privacy Policy
  Terms & Conditions
A Home Is Not a Home Without a Home Phone!

Telecom Info: Get home phone service

Local Phone Company
When you call your local telephone company to set up phone service, you will be asked for your address, name and possibly ID (such as your social security number or driver's license). If you do not have a social security number or driver's license yet, you will be asked to bring your passport to the nearest telephone company office. Unfortunately, international students do not have credit history in the US and will usually be asked to pay a deposit ($100-200) to get the phone service. Be aware that many features will have additional cost. You will need to pay additional monthly fee to get long distance or international call service. Call the local telephone company for details.

VoIP Phone Service
If you already have broadband Internet access at your place, Voice over IP (VoIP) phone service is a new & good alternative. If you stay in the school dorm, the high-speed Internet access may be already available in the room with no extra charge. You can get a new phone number in two business days without complicated application process or deposit. You will be given a VoIP adapter. Connect the adapter to Internet and a regular telephone. No computer or device configuration is needed. This phone number is portable. No like the traditional phone services, all call features are included from most of VoIP phone service providers. Click here to see how it works.

Telephone directories

Take advantage of free telephone directories. The local telephone directory is updated very year. Every residence gets a free copy. Usually, in addition to local residential and business phone numbers and addresses, there is information on the local phone company and its services. You can find many useful telephone numbers and other information in it.

Important numbers you should know

911 - Emergency calls only!!

This is a central number for all emergencies, from which the proper agencies will be dispatched – firefighters, police, sheriffs, highway patrol, paramedics, ambulances, other medical personnel, etc. There will usually be operators who speak some languages other than English, like Mandarin, Cantonese, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Spanish, etc., depending on the region.

411 - Directory Assistance

For assistance finding a number anywhere in the U.S please call 411. (You do not need to know the area code.)

Did You Know...
You can qualify to apply for life-line phone service if you do not have a high income and only have one phone line in your home. If you qualify, you can save up to $15 per month on your local phone bills. Ask your local phone company for details.

Home | About iStudentCity | Job Opportunities | Contact iStudentCity Hall
Copyright©2000-2009, iStudentCity.com. All Rights Reserved.